Name: Cathy Patino
Known Nicknames: Cocola, Cat
Neighbourhood of Residence: Forest Hill
Previous Professional Life: Financial Services and Domestic CEO aka stay-at-home-mom (that was a 24/7 job!)
Getting to know Cathy in ten questions:
1. What made you decide to get into real estate?
I had already been successful in terms of purchasing properties either for myself to live or for investment purposes before becoming a realtor. I absolutely enjoy the whole process of buying and selling; it’s exciting, fact-paced and you’re constantly on the go! Not to mention, I get to post all the front seat access to new listings around Toronto and GTA on my social media, primarily my IG stories, which is a really fun part of my day. Most importantly, I really enjoy working with people every single day and building great connections.
Ok, now this part gets personal but it’s part of my journey leading up to my career in real estate and truly finding myself. Just before getting my real estate licence I was going through a major transition in my personal life. I was recently divorced and thankfully my children’s father and I have always maintained a wonderful co-parenting relationship. Nonetheless divorce is an extremely difficult process, I’m sure there are many people out there who can relate. So there I was after my divorce, standing at the crossroads of my life and deciding on my future. I knew I wanted a career in real estate but I remember feeling afraid of the unknown. I was determined to work hard, so I took a leap of faith and forged my own path by becoming a realtor. I’m so happy I did it – it’s so me.
2. Where would we find you on a Friday night in Toronto?
3. Most embarrassing real-estate moment:
I went to see a condo for my buyer, the door was already unlocked and so I called out to see if anyone was home and the owner yelled, “Come in don’t mind us!” I found a couple in bed with the covers pulled up to their chin. I think I just said hi but I bounced out of there as quickly as I could.
4. Who stands out to you / do you most admire in the business world right now?
I really admire Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez for her determination. The young bronx native had a very slim chance to win her district, but against all odds she became the youngest women ever elected to the U.S Congress. I think we can all agree no matter what our political views are, she proves that no matter what socio-economic background you come from, if you really believe in something and work hard enough it will happen.
5. What is the career philosophy / mantra / inspirational quote that gets you through tougher days?
“Nothing is worth more than laughter. It is strength to laugh and to abandon oneself, to be light.” –Frida Kahlo
Fact: Did you know laughter diffuses stress, enhance problem-solving skills, and creates a new perspective?
6. What is your theme song?
Cudi Zone by Kid Cudi It helps me get into my own Zone.
7. Describe your dream home in three words.
Full of Love.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?
Still doing what I love, helping people and building strong relationships. I just realized my boys will be teenagers in 5 years. (I’m not crying, you’re crying!)
9. When you’re not wheeling & dealing real estate, what can we find you doing?
You will almost definitely find me in my kitchen dancing while cooking dinner for my kids. My kids have graded my dancing skills a solid 8.5/10! I think that’s pretty good. I won’t tell you what grade I got for my cooking skills though… that’s personal!
10. Highlight of 2019 so far: The launch of @WomenofPSR of course! It was formed with the intention of bringing together women to encourage, elevate, and share ideas. I feel very fortunate to be surrounded by phenomenal women at my Brokerage. You know what they say… “Behind every successful woman is a tribe of other successful women who have her back.”
Follow Cathy on social!